Schedule of Events
We invite you to join us at the 2016 Spirit Of Boise Balloon Classic as we provide an exciting, family-oriented production for the community of Boise!
Wednesday, August 31, 2016 — Kids’ Day sponsored by CapEd
- 7:15 a.m. First Inflation / 20 Balloons to Tether We expect about 20 balloons for today’s inflation.As long as the balloons are remaining in the park, our littlest fans will have an opportunity to interact, pose for pictures in baskets and (weather permitting) take a short lift in the balloon ‘on float’ during “Kid’s Day” activities.
Thursday, September 1, 2016 — Media Day
- 7:00 a.m. – First 2016 Multiple Balloon Launch at Ann Morrison Park
Watch for nearly 30 balloons this morning. Media Day always seems to be the official start of Balloon Classic with a few early arriving “guest pilots” making their first appearance of the Balloon Classic. The event’s 122nd Launch from the Park.
Friday, September 2, 2016
- 7:05 a.m. Tribute launch to friends we’ve lost this year.
- 7:15 a.m. Second 2016 Multiple Balloon Launch
VIP Day is when we honor those who make the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic possible with their financial support by taking them aloft with us for a flight. Person’s who have contributed to making the Balloon Classic possible are on board the balloons as special guests of our pilots.
Nite Glow Spectacular
Glow in the Park Event, Friday night, September 2, 2016
- 6:00 p.m. Balloons Escorted to the Park
Pilot’s are under escort by the Boise Police Department to Ann Morrison Park from the host Hotel. This ballooning parade is a favorite with pilots as they make their way to the Park for “Nite Glow” activities. This will be the 25th consecutive parade to Ann Morrison Park through the streets of Boise.
- 6:00 p.m. Live Music in Park
- 6:45 p.m. Demonstration Inflations
Very special and unique hot air balloons are inflated prior to the Nite Glow to entertain the crowd. This year’s inflations include appearances by :
“Tic Toc” presented by the Spencer’s ‘non-profit’ partner St Luke’s one of the newest creations from Scott Spencer’s “Lighter Than Air America Special Shapes” will make an appearance prior to the “Nite Glow Spectacular”
“Speedy” the latest creation to fly from Scott Spencer’s Lighter Than Air America fleet will make his first appearance at the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic. Take a careful look at “Speedy’s” eyes … You’ll see his pal in them.
Pat Prothro will help us get started with the Fall Season by sharing his exciting balloon, Ms. Autumn at this years Balloon Classic.
- 7:15 p.m. Children’s “Happy Dance” at ‘Olympic Spirit’ Balloon
- 7:40 p.m. Nite Glow Weather Briefing / Larry Gebert
- 8:15 p.m. Nite Glow (time approximate / dusk)
Balloons cannot lift off the ground in the dark so in the event, our pilots will turn the night into day with our largest Nite Glow Spectacular ever, 25 balloons lined up side-by-side on the launch site. You simply have to see it if you’ve never seen a balloon glow.
Saturday, September 3rd — Governor’s Cup Competition
- 7:15 a.m. – Inflation in Ann Morrison Park
This is Competition Day at the Spirit of Boise-Balloon Classic. Pilots will be assigned a navigational task to challenge their flying skills and the winning pilot will be awarded the Governor’s Cup for Aviation Excellence.
It is also true that during today’s competitive task, that several “porta-potties” may be utilized as targets as Balloon Classic pilots once again play one of their favorite games when visiting Boise, “Porta-Potty Bowling”.
Sunday September 4th — “Last Dance” – The GREAT LAUNCH
- 7:15 a.m. – Inflation and lift off from Ann Morrison Park
The fifth and final day of flying for the 2016 Spirit of Boise-Balloon Classic.
Based on the success of last years “Great Launch” (fifty balloons off the ground in 30 seconds) We will once again attempt to provide local photographers with the perfect “Boise & Ballooning” photo from Ann Morrison Park. Our goal is to put all the balloons into the sky in under one minute, creating a ‘stack’ of colorful balloons over the park with our beautiful Boise cityscape as the background.
Special Shape Balloons will not participate in the Great Launch. Weather conditions must be near perfect for producers to successfully (and safely) execute this launch. Anything less than perfect weather will require us to revert to a standard “launch controlled” lift off.