2017 Spectator Tips
It is a grand family experience to come to Ann Morrison Park and watch all the balloons drifting into the morning sky above Boise. Here are a few tips to enhance your experience for this year’s gathering of hot air balloons.
Always dress for the morning
- It usually doesn’t take long for the temperatures to rise, but it is chilly first thing in the morning. Experienced balloon fans dress in layers so that they can shed a layer as needed.Speaking of dressing for the morning, the grass in the park is usually pretty wet with overnight dew right after sunrise, so you might want waterproof shoes for the smaller guys and gals in your family.
- You’ve never seen the likes of our “ham” pilots before. They’ll always take a moment to pose for a picture with you next to a balloon or basket; all you have to do is ask. Asking is the key word here. Please don’t presume to enter a balloon for a picture without first obtaining permission from the pilot or crew chief.Looking for the perfect shot? Here’s a hint, closer is not always better.
Dogs and balloon launches
- Despite the fact that we’ve been telling people for years not to bring their pet to the park during balloon operations, some people still do.While it’s very true that pilots don’t appreciate having their balloons “marked” as it were, or spreading them out over the spot Fido last made a pit stop, it actually goes a bit farther than that.The burners that power the balloons make a sound that is inaudible to humans, but when experienced up close by your pet, actually hurts his/her sensitive ears. It’s the same reason that dogs bark and cats, horses and cows beat feet the opposite direction when a balloon flies overhead. Give your pet a break, leave it home!
- It is perfectly appropriate to bring a lawn chair with you. Remember though, the balloon you see laying on the ground is going to grow nearly 20 times bigger when its filled with air. If a pilot or crew member asks you to move your chairs, please do so with a smile.
For your safety (and everyone else as well)
- Never, ever, EVER, step on a balloon. Always be mindful of where your feet are.
- Please listen carefully to any instructions given over the P.A. system.
- Refrain from smoking on the field. Propane fumes will sink to the ground and are very explosive! Please, simply walk to the edge of the site before you light up. This will also avoid a burned balloon from ashes or a dropped cigarette.
- Absolutely no drones will be allowed on the premises by regulation of the FAA.
Enjoy the Balloon Classic … The show is for you and your family!
Bonus! For the first time, get excited for the Darth Vader and Yoda balloons!